How to do Psuedo Text Entry! Ft. the Trigger Check (WARNING! NOT VERY MEMORY EFFICIENT)

We all have had this problem. You know the one I’m talking about.
Not being able to detect text answers with block code. this is a STRUGGLE for wanting to load save codes. but all this time we have been trying to detect thing outside gimkit, without thinking outside the box. if we cant detect text input, why not just make that text input in gimkit ourself?
introducing
PSUEDO TEXT-ENTRY!

Materials

53 triggers (52 keys + 1 Trigger Check) :exploding_head:
1 property
1 button

How to make it?

It’s simple but costly in memory, but it will do for now till we can find something better.
first place a trigger! then make a “When Triggered” block code. make it like this!
Screenshot 2024-10-17 3.54.44 PM
then copy that trigger 51 times and change the letter to match the number key it is.
then we set up that property!
Screenshot 2024-10-17 3.57.07 PM
Hooray the text inputting has been made, but we aren’t done. remember what this is solving? we need a way to check that text property now.
WE NEED A TRIGGER CHECK!
this is how the trigger check will be set up.
we will have a button that once pressed brodcasts a message, like this!

then we place another trigger, but not for a key we set it up like this.
Screenshot 2024-10-17 4.33.27 PM
Screenshot 2024-10-17 4.11.14 PM
Screenshot 2024-10-17 4.11.44 PM

How difficult is this guide?
  • 1/10
  • 2/10
  • 3/10
  • 4/10
  • 5/10
  • 6/10
  • 7/10
  • 8/10
  • 9/10
  • 10/10
  • 11/10 :skull:
0 voters
2 Likes

This is very helpful @Fleet

May I introduce to you counter arrays? Memory efficiency is very fun.

2 Likes

if it’s not memory efficient and it’s not very unique then don’t make a guide on it is my advice.
And what Getrithekd suggested is SUPER helpful!

1 Like

Many people have done guides on this, and how much memory is it anyways?
oops dropped this

How to Make a Working Keyboard (Advanced Version) - Community Made Guides - Gimkit Creative

How to Make a Working Keyboard in GKC - Community Made Guides - Gimkit Creative

3 Likes

Text entry or “Pseudo text-entry” is already a thing, although I think the save codes are a new idea. Also, what does the final product look like?

1 Like

Yes this keyboard has already been made several times, while it won’t be flagged because of Blackhole’s rules on flagging duplicate guides please try to do something more original. I’m fine with several keyboard guides however this is very similar to some of the other ones. Also please remove technical, technical guides are guides that are more on the complex side and use a ton of block code[1]. For example, I would say @getrithekd’s Player Selector guide was technical. Also in general why is there the code tag? Most guides with blockcode don’t even use it… Second: Please don’t make a guide off of a Help post. You made a help post asking how to do this very thing and I responded with the answer and saying something like “However that way is not very memory efficient”. My third point: Some people don’t really memory efficiency their systems and that’s fine to a certain extent. When a system is 10% memory, okay fine. But when a system in 25-35% memory maybe look into some efficiency systems. My fourth and final point: If you want to do a keyboard guide do a variation that’s never been done before, like using counter arrays!

Thanks for reading my essay :)

1. I CANNOT explain things oh my ↩︎

2 Likes

Like the idea, like really well - but hasn’t this been made before? Maybe I’m tweaking but this already exists. We’re also looking for a memory efficient version.

1 Like

Save code also exists right now.

Read post 5

Oh, yeah—my bad, I didn’t realize it said the same thing.

1 Like

My Essay

This guide has been done many times before, for example:

So first, this is a duplicate.

Why We Don’t Like Duplicates

why do we need more than one guide on a topic? We have the information already, why say it again when we don’t need to.

Your Formatting

you have A LOT of pictures, which is good, but we could keep it tidier if we used text, and only used pictures when needed. Also, more dropdowns so its more divided and easy to read.

Why does This Work?

you show how to do it, but not why it works.

The title

the titles a bit wordy, maybe put the warning in the guide?

The introduction

introductios good, waiting for it to be great.

Conclusion

there is none.

Poll

obviously take away the uneeded options, because people are goofy goobers who like to choose 11/10 for everything

Drop-down Names

boring, don’t really catch my eye

Overall Rating

5/10
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* Did you like my essay? :heart:

4 Likes